Thursday, July 7, 2016

A Belated Sit-rep

Is it really July already? Considering I've been AWOL from ROTGM for so long now, I feel I should explain my absence. Some time in February, I was let go from my internship at an advertising firm. Long story short, they finally ran out of work to give me and we parted on good terms. That internship was only supposed to last through the middle of August, so I was really just happy I managed to hold onto it for more than twice as long as planned. Granted, this meant going back to job searching, which (combined with finals in May) really clamped down on the time I could use to track down music for ROTGM.

Once I got back from college for the year, I started working at a temp agency in my home town. The temp agency connected me with a factory gig working on prosthetic limbs. Not exactly my cup of tea, I thought, but hey it would pay the bills. Unfortunately, this job goes from seven am three-thirty pm, and is carried out basically in silence. We all wear earplugs on site, so idle conversation isn't particularly easy to pull off. There's a radio playing somewhere, but it's so distant that it's mostly drowned out by ambient noise. As a result, I basically sit at a table all day hoping that A.) I don't set myself on fire (a fairly common occurrence there) and B.) that I don't go insane from lack of music. It's not so much a difficult job as it is an utterly soul-crushing one. Silence for eight hours, interrupted occasionally by the sounds of me freaking out because I set my hand on fire again with the blowtorch (we don't change gloves between rubbing shoulder supports down with alcohol and using a blowtorch to melt scratches on those supports, so our hands are extra flammable). Basically, I've been too bloody drained these days to think of much interesting to say on ROTGM.

Regardless, I wish to make it known that I do have some updates planned for the next few weekends. I have some bands I'd like to feature here, and it's just a matter of having enough time to do those spotlights properly. I'll be back in a few days with more than just a status update.

Guitarman out.

No comments:

Post a Comment