Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A change of pace

Well, summer camp put a large dent in my scheduling plans. Fear not, I intend to return to my weekly routine. In any event, today's post is not going to include more free music. I've been doing more than enough of that lately. Instead, I'm going to list a few of my favorite albums. For the record, this is a highly subjective and inconclusive list. I'm not making a list of "best" albums. Those lists irritate me. Judging music's worth through a rigid ranking system just doesn't sit well with me. Anyways, I didn't want to start a rant: on with the list!


Black Sabbath: "Black Sabbath" + "13"





I am a huge fan of Tony Iommi, guitarist of Black Sabbath. He's shown absolutely mind-blowing versatility over his career. I, for one, am the proud owner of a Tony Iommi signature Epiphone sg. I may be a metal-head, but I have blues-man's heart. As such, I'm drawn towards the sinister blues of Sabbath's self-titled debut album and the crushing bluesy grooves of their latest work, "13." My favorite tracks? That's like asking me which of my children I like the most...They're all amazing in my opinion.


Trouble: "Manic Frustration"



Now HERE'S a feast for the ears! The album is a legendary doom metal band's fantastic take on psychedelic rock. This is hands down one of my favorite albums. It's hard hitting, but is ultimately more reminiscent of Hendrix than it is of, say, Sabbath. I'd have to say that Hello Strawberry Skies is one of my favorite hard-rock songs period. You really don't need to be a metal-head like me to enjoy this one.


Slash: "Slash"



This solo album by Slash, guitarist of Guns and Roses fame, features a nonsensical collection of vocalists. Never had I expected to see Ozzy Osbourne, Lemmy Kilmeister, Adam Levine, and Fergie co-star on the same album. The album, naturally, is not the most coherent of compilations. Frankly, I see that as a good thing. It keeps the listener on their toes. Slash masterfully juggles a variety of styles, from glam-infused-alt-rock to traditional hard-rock, from haunting ballads to airtight modern metal. With thirteen different singers, the album's eclectic nature keeps me coming back for more. There's really something for everyone there.


Well, that's it for today's post. I'll be back later with more of my favorite albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment